Got an CSV or Excel file with your contacts? E-goi makes it easy to import it.
You can upload virtually any kind of contact database, from a plain-text email list to a full-blown sliced-and-diced Excel file. The more contact info you upload (eg. their name, mobile number, city, etc.), the more you can segment your mailings later on to get the highest deliverability!
1) OK, let's crack on with importing your contacts! Log into your E-goi account, go to the Lists menu, head to the list you want to do the import on and click Contacts.
2) A page will come up with all contacts in that E-goi list. Click the Add/Update button, select Excel/CSV and hit Upload file.
3) Select the file with your contacts in your computer (it should be in Excel, CSV, TXT or OST format) and upload it. After some time (depending on the file size and your upload speed), E-goi will show a column-based preview of your import. It looks just like an Excel sheet.
Now you just need to tell E-goi what's in each column. This is as easy as matching up names! For example, if a column contains email addresses, simply head to the bottom of that column, click on Select a field and choose Email.
If you have other columns in your file (eg. name, mobile number, etc.), just map them to their matching fields in E-goi (eg. select the "mobile" field for the column containing your contacts' mobile). Speaking of mobile or phone numbers, make sure your file includes the full numbers, including international prefix (eg. 44-XXXXXXXXXX).
4) OK, but what if you have a column in your file without a matching field in E-goi (say, a column labeled "city")? No problem, just create that field in E-goi right there and then. Go to the bottom of that column, hit Select a field and choose New extra field.
Now enter the name of the new field (just use the same one as in your original file; in this case, we'll be typing in "city"), select the field type ("text" is often used, but you can set it as date, number or even a list of entries) and hit Add.
Done! The new field has been added to E-goi and you can now use it to map your column.
5) After all the columns you want to import have been mapped to their corresponding fields in E-goi, click "Begin import" to have E-goi import your database. When the import is finished (it usually takes less than a minute, but may take longer depending on your database size), E-goi will email you the import result.
And that's all there is to it! Pretty simple.
Updating your mailing list with another contact database
Simply repeat the steps above with one key difference: in the last step, just before you hit Begin import, tick the I am updating my database option.
E-goi will then compare the email addresses (or mobile numbers or any other field you've set as a unique field) in your current list with the file you're importing. Any new contacts will be added immediately while existing contacts will be checked for differences. If new data is found (a different name, birthdate, etc.), the contact's information in E-goi will be updated accordingly.
Tagging the contacts you import
If you'd like to tag all contacts you're about to upload so they are segmented on import, simply follow the usual import steps with one difference: in the last step, just before beginning import, be sure to hit the Options button. Under Tags, choose (or create) the tag you want to assign to these contacts. You can then proceed with your import as usual.
Importing contacts in multiple languagesEnsure the database file you'll be importing has a column labelled "language" with our language codes for each contact. Then simply match that column to E-goi's "contact language" field during your import. You can use these codes:
en = English
fr = French
de = German
es = Spanish
pt = European Portuguese
br = Brazilian Portuguese
Updating your mailing list with a database file off your site
If you keep your database file in your own site (web or FTP server) and regularly update its content, you can have E-goi automatically fetch it and update your list as well:
1) You'll need to import your file manually at least once. Make sure to import a database file which has the exact same name and column structure as the file in your web server! Now follow the usual steps for a manual import all the way to the last step but don't begin the import yet! Click the Options button instead.
2) A settings page will come up. Under URL enter the full URL of your database file (including the database filename). Now head over to Scheduling and choose how often E-goi will fetch the file (daily, weekly, etc.). Finally, under Template, enter a name for this import template (E-goi will use it to automate the import) and then hit Save.
3) You'll be back to the import page. Be sure to tick the I am updating my database option and then click Begin import.
Done! E-goi will import the file and update your list with any new data it contains. From then on, the whole thing will be automated on the schedule you've set.
I've got an email with the import results. What do they mean?Don't worry, we break it down for you here!
I noticed E-goi has a new contact import wizard. How do I use it?
That's right! We redid the whole thing from scratch based on your feedback. It's been fully revamped and now looks much snazzier :-) If you've used the old import, you'll feel right at home:
1) When first choosing to import contacts from a file, you'll be given two options: the old import or the all-new one. Select Try the new one.
2) Click Browse and choose the file (Excel, CSV, TXT or ODT) in your computer containing the contacts you'll be uploading.
3) When E-goi is done uploading the file, click Next if the file uses a comma as separator (this is the default setting for Excel or CSV databases, so in most cases you shouldn't need to change anything here). However, if you know the file uses a different character as separator, hit Advanced and specify that character before proceeding.
4) E-goi will then show you the columns in your file. Select those you want to import and which fields in E-goi they'll match. This is quite similar to the column matching step in the old import.
5) Lastly, you'll see the options for the import (also pretty similar to the old import's settings). Hit Begin import when you're all set! E-goi will take it from there and will email you the import result when done.