E-goi makes it easy to import your contact database:
1) If your database comprises more than just the contacts' email (eg., their name, mobile, city, address, etc.), make sure the file has different columns for each of those fields (check out the picture below). Yes, you can import just a list of emails, but the more info you upload, the more you can segment your mailings later on to get the highest deliverability!
2) Log into your E-goi account, go to the "Lists" menu, head to the list you want to import your contacts to and click on "Contacts".
3) A page will come up listing all contacts in that E-goi list. Click the "Add/Update" button, select "Excel/CSV" and hit "Upload file".
4) Select the contact database file in your computer (it should be in Excel, CSV, Open Office Calc or TXT format) and upload it. After some time (depending on the file size and your upload speed), E-goi will show a column-based preview of your import. It looks just like an Excel sheet.
Now you just need to tell E-goi what's in each column. This is as easy as matching up names! For example, if a column contains email addresses, simply head to the bottom of that column, click on "-- select a field --" and choose "Email".
If you have other columns in your file (eg. name, mobile number, etc.), just map them to their matching fields in E-goi (eg. select the "mobile" field for the column containing your contacts' mobile). Speaking of mobile or phone numbers, make sure your file includes the full number, including international prefix (eg. 44-XXXXXXXXXX).
5) OK, but what if you have a column in your file without a matching field in E-goi (say, a column labeled "city")? No problem, just create that field in E-goi right there and then. Go to the bottom of that column, hit "-- select a field --" and choose "-- new extra field --".
Now enter the name of the new field (just use the same one as in your original file; in this case, we'll be typing in "city"), select the field type ("text" is often used, but you can set it as date, number or even a list of entries) and hit "Add".
Done! The new field has been added to E-goi and you can now use it to map your column!
6) After all the columns you want to import have been mapped to their corresponding fields in E-goi, click "Begin import" to have E-goi import your database.
Updating your mailing list with another contact database
Simply repeat the steps above with one key difference: in the last step, just before you hit "Begin import", tick the "I am updating my database" option.
E-goi will then compare your current list with the database you're importing. Any new contacts will be added immediately while existing contacts will be checked for differences. If new data is found (a different name, birthdate, etc.), the contact's information in E-goi will be updated accordingly.
Tagging the contacts you import
If you'd like to tag all contacts you're about to upload so they are segmented on import, simply follow the usual import steps with one difference: in the last step, just before clicking "Begin import", be sure to hit the "Options" button. Under "Tags", choose (or create) the tag you want to assign to these contacts. You can then proceed with your import as usual.
Importing contacts in multiple languagesEnsure the database file you'll be importing has a column labelled "language" with our language codes for each contact. Then simply match that column to E-goi's "contact language" field during your import. You can use these codes:
en = English
fr = French
de = German
es = Spanish
pt = European Portuguese
br = Brazilian Portuguese
Updating your mailing list with a database file off your site
If you keep your database file in your own site (web or FTP server) and regularly update its contents, you can have E-goi automatically fetch it and update your list as well! This is quite simple to do:
1) You'll need to import your file manually at least once. Make sure to import a database file which has the exact same name and column structure as the file in your web server! Now follow the usual steps for a manual import all the way to the last step but don't hit "Begin import" yet! Click the "Options" button instead.
2) A settings page will come up. Under "URL" enter the full URL of your database file (including the database filename). Now head over to "Scheduling" and choose how often E-goi will fetch the file (daily, weekly, etc.). Finally, under "Template", enter a name for this import template (E-goi will use it to automate the import) and then hit "Save".
3) You'll be back to the import page. Be sure to tick the "I am updating my database" option and then click "Begin import".
Done! E-goi will import the file and update your list with any new data it contains. From then on, the whole thing will be automated on the schedule you've set.
I've got an email with the import results. What do they mean?Don't worry, we break it down for you!