In this article
- How to show conditional content according to devices
- How to show conditional content according to segments
- How to ensure a correct contact identification in segments
Imagine you have a landing page with lots of content, and it becomes really long on mobile devices.
You can create variations in some blocks to adapt (or hide) the content according to the device it's being viewed on.
The result? A better experience for your customers!
Here's how you do it, following the example of a landing page:
1) Start by creating the page.
2) When you get to the page editor, head to the "+" sign on the left side of the block and click on Add variation. If you prefer, you can click on the copy icon to duplicate the content with the formatting.
3) Create or adjust the content of the variation. In this case, let's hide the variation on mobile.
To do this, simply go to the right panel and activate the option Hide this variation from contacts, and in the Only display this variation to... section, choose Mobile.
4) Do it in all the blocks you need, and once you're done and save the page. Then, when you share it, all the blocks will be visible on Desktop, while some will be hidden on Mobile.
Say you want to activate on-site messaging on your website and show a different discount according to two segments.
A discount for first-time purchases and a different discount for loyal customers.
You can create variations in some blocks to adapt the content according to your target audience.
Result: Highly segmented actions with a greater likelihood of return.
Here's how to do it, following the example of an on-site messaging:
2) When you reach the on-site messaging editor, hit the "+" button on the left side of the content block and click on Add variation. If you prefer, you can click on the copy icon so that the content is duplicated along with the formatting.
3) Adjust the variation's content and set the options on the right panel.
You can name the variation and choose the segment in the Only display this variation to box.
Following the example above, we would have 3 variations:
- Default: This is the default content and it's shown when no contacts are found in the other variations' segments.
- Variation 1: Targeted at first-time purchases.
- Variation 2: Targeted at loyal customers.
4) Personalise all the content blocks you need and finalise the on-site messaging. Then, when you activate it, the discount will be presented contextually according to the chosen segments.
Usually, content variations by segments is more suited to actions made on websites, in this case, through on-site messaging.
Therefore, your site's visitors must be identified in E-goi as contacts.
How does E-goi identify that a visitor is a contact in your segments? Two examples:
- Besides your site being integrated with E-goi through our Track & Engage, the visitor must be a contact in your E-goi account and be logged in your site.
- In addition to your site being integrated with E-goi through our Track & Engage, the contact might have received an email campaign from you and clicked on a button leading to your site. From then on, E-goi will recognise the contact whenever they visit your site.
Yes! You just need to be careful with the combination of segments.
Segments are combined with AND. Therefore, if you choose segment A and segment B, the variation will only be visible to contacts who are in both segments.
In this sense, if you choose a device and a segment, it'll be possible to view the content.
- If you choose more than one device, they will be combined with an AND, and it will not be possible to view the content.
- If you choose segment A (with contacts borned October) and segment B (with contacts borned in April), it'll also not be possible to view the content.
Alternatively, you should:
- Create a variation for each device.
- Create a variation for each segment or work the conditions in a single segment.